WRCA Round 2

1/10th Off Road

WRCA Round 2 Race Report - Click Read More To Find Out More!  


28th May 2017 saw Round 2 of the WRCA regionals start with a number of people nervously checking the sky for the rain forecast to arrive later in the day.


However, Round 1 got underway in bright sunshine (after the usual shuffling of heats to account for the entrants who didn’t bother showing up!). The grass track laid out by the host club COBRA proved to be high grip and challenging from the start, with a couple of small jumps included to keep the racers focussed. 


Another good turnout saw 3 heats of 2wd and 4 of 4wd, although the truck heat was unable to run due to insufficient numbers. Round 1 saw the PR Racing 2wd of Dave Jackson setting the pace until Ben Young’s Team C upped the tempo to top the timesheets for the rest of the day. Chris Mills couldn’t repeat pole this time, lining up 3rd overall, just behind fellow Associated driver Martin Pitman.


In 4wd Craig Harris TQ’d each round with his XRAY, with Chris Mill’s Associated in 2nd and Spencer Farley 3rd with his Schumacher. The track held up well in the sunshine, although Round 4 saw many drivers choosing new tyres to counteract the loss of grip on some corners. This resulted in many drivers being able to keep improving their times throughout the day despite the meeting being on grass.


The finals started with the 2wd B final, which saw Owen Richards repeat his result from Round 1 and claim first place. This time from Roy Davies and Mike Baldwin, with only 3 seconds separating them at the end of the race.


Heading into the 2wd A Final, a relatively clean start from everyone saw pole man Ben Young disappear off into the distance, leaving the others to battle over the remaining positions. 2nd place went to Chris Mills ahead of a resurgent Dave Jackson.


In 4wd the C final was closely fought between John Toole and Simon Notley, with John taking the win by just over a second. The pair leaving 3rd place man Gary Preston five seconds further back.


Moving into the B final, Ashley Gibbons recovered from 8th to win the final by a lap from Tom Owen, who had come out on top in the battle for 2nd place. Beating 3rd place man Mike Baldwin by 0.09 of a second on the run to the line. The final race of the day, 4wd A final, resulted in pole man Craig Harris leading from start to finish, ultimately completing an extra lap more than Chris Mills and Spencer Farley, who themselves finished a lap ahead of the rest of the field whilst contesting 2nd place. Chris eventually emerging victorious in 2nd with Spencer 3rd.


The overall results of the A finals are included in the old school tech charts below, whilst the winners of the remaining finals were:

B Final 2wd – Owen Richards

C Final 4wd – John Toole

B Final 4wd – Ashley Gibbons


A big thank you to the COBRA club for the track and to everyone who mucked in to pack it all away at the end of racing, meaning we avoided the rain. All help received is hugely appreciated for these events.


Here’s to Round 3 at Caldicot RC Racers in 2 weeks time, may the weather stay fine!