1/10 BRCA Nationals Round 4 Colchester Race Report

10th IC Circuit

Round 4 was held on the 23rd June at the newly refurbished Colchester track . The sun shone all weekend and it was obvious that the club had put in a lot of work to provide a good flowing circuit and nice venue.




Saturday practice was all about learning the circuit and trying to find the best set up to balance grip vs the relatively high tyre wear.




A good entry was made up of the usual regular drivers and several local drivers from the Colchester club.



Dan Jones flew over from the Middle East and seen here spraying his bodyshell Sunday morning ! for his Serpent SRX8 GT


Sunday morning following round of practice heats qualifying started in earnest.Round 1 saw Serpent driver Mark Green achieving a double taking FTD in 200mm Touring
ahead of Joe Kerry and in 220mm GT ahead of Glyn Beal.



In 1/8 GT Glyn tookFTD ahead of Craig Jeacock.Round two saw no change apart from GT8 where Craig Woods took second spot.Round 3 and 4 were completed with no change to the top two in each class with Matthew Cook 3rd in 200mm Touring, Byron Russell

3rd in 220mm GT and Stewart Mcleod 3rd in 1/8 GT held FTD ahead of Joe Kerry.

John Russell providing fuel, spares and support for Serpent drivers.


The B Final 200mm Touring resulted with a win for local driver Aaran Russell With Bob Harley in 2nd and Mark Caton a DNS


In the B Final 220mm GT Devendra Mahatme led for 18 minutes before a stripped gear dropped him down the field to 3rd, allowing Phil Edwards to take the win and a 2nd place for the welcome return of Nigel Philpott


1st Phil Edwards (Serpent ) 2nd Nigel Philpott 3rd Devendra Mahatme (Serpent )

The 1/8 GT A Final started with FTD driver Glyn Beal storming in to the lead with Dan jones eventually closing the gap to a car’s length with some close racing.

Unfortunately Dan’s race came to an abrupt end when a wheel cameloose .Paul Bellinger and Steward Mcleod took full advantage completing the podium.1st Glyn Beal
2nd Paul Bellinger (Serpent ) 3rd Steward Mcleod


A Final 200mm Touring was a close battle for most of the race with Joe Kerry leading from FTD driver Mark Green who both made tactical tyre changes but Joe ran out of tyres in then latter stages allowing Mark to take the win. Stewart Mcleod pipped Matt Cook for the final podium place at the end of the race.


1st Mark Green (Serpent ) 2nd Joe Kerry, 3rd Stewart Mcleod


A Final 220mm GT was led from start to finish by FTD Mark Green who completed an impressive A Final double.

Glyn Beal took a comfortable second place. The highlight of the day’s racing was the battle for 3rd and 4th between Dan Jones and newcomer Byron Russell who remained seconds apart for the last 15 minutes with the lead swapping several times and fuel stops critical. Dan just managed to edge it in to complete the podium.


Overall a most enjoyable weekend’s racing in good weather. Thanks to all at the Colchester club for their hard work in preparing the circuit ,providing the catering and making the meeting run smoothly.


Another successful meeting for the Serpent racers .