2017 Scottish GT12 Clubmans - Round 4

1/12th Circuit GT

The fourth and final round of the Scottish Gt12 clubmans series was held by Lothian Radio Control Car Club on Saturday 15th of April.

The Lothian club has recently lost a few metres off its track but still has the longest track of the series. The club laid a flowing track with plenty of corners to provide a challenge for the drivers.


John Simpson had secured the championship with his results from the first three rounds but would be looking to lead from the front again. Kenneth Rogers was hoping to defend second from the always fast Andrew Edwards. Bryan Thomson and Steve McInally would also decide their championship long battle for fourth and fifth.

Qualifying saw John top the sheets in all four rounds with Kenneth the only driver on the same lap until the last round where Andrew and Bryan also managed 34 laps. Despite the improvement Andrew would line up third, Bryan fourth, Steve fifth and local driver Stephen Whyte completing the A final on his debut in the series.

Leg one saw a clean start for John with Andrew giving chase after an opportunistic move from third on the second place man, saw Kenneth drop back to the back of the field. John grip rolled after a couple of laps allowing Andrew to gap the rest of the field and take the win. The remaining cars were then locked in a battle for the rest of six minutes with Bryan taking second and Kenneth fighting back to third and defending some very fast driving in the final minutes from John in fourth. Steve was fifth and Stephen in sixth.

Leg two saw the cars get off the grid without incident with Kenneth and Andrew chasing John for the lead. A grip roll for Kenneth on lap three let Andrew go but he couldn’t catch John who finished a lap up on the field. A tough battle then ensued for the remaining places with Kenneth sneaking past Stephen on the last lap for third and Bryan and Stephen finishing fifth and sixth.

The final race again saw a clean start and a set up change for Kenneth allowed him to keep John in sight finishing three seconds behind the 2017 champion. A bad run for Andrew dropped him to fifth. Bryan found some pace and finished in third with Stephen fourth and Steve sixth.


In the B final Graeme Dick took the overall win from second on the grid with victories in legs two and three after a non score in leg one with a transponder issue. Dave Bruce was close behind in second and Ben Jackson put in a strong performance to challenge for the Junior Championship in third. Pole man James Eaves would finish in fourth.

The C final saw the other junior championship contender Reece Duthie take the win from Zo Kapasi and Chris Ritchie.

D final honours went to John Duthie after a battle royale with second place Paul Bignell who was being highly motivated by the chocolate on offer for the podium places. Alastair Davidson completed the podium in third.
In the championship another win at this round for John allowed him to drop his second place in round 1 and achieve a perfect score. Andrew finished in second ahead of the consistent Kenneth who never finished below third in any of the rounds. Bryan took fourth from Steve with Graeme Dick completing the top 6. The junior championship came down to the last round but Reece Duthie took the win by 3 points from Ben Jackson.

Thanks go to the Lothian club for putting on a great event to bring the 2017 championship to a close.

This year saw the championship go from strength to strength with a new club taking part, new racers and good turnouts at all the rounds, new trophies for the championship winners and close, fun racing throughout the field. We are all looking forward to the fifth running of the championship in 2018.

Full details of the series, results and videos can be found on www.gt12scotland.co.uk